top of page

Rawhides good right?

How can one of the most popular chew sticks on the planet be so dangerous for your pets, you ask? I mean, most dogs chew on rawhide for hours on end, and not only does it keep them busy, but they seem to last forever. But while many believe it is a good choice for improving dental hygiene, this isn’t the case. Rawhide chews start out hard, but as your dog chews is it gets softer, until it is the consistency taffy or bubble gum. By that point, it is nothing more than a choking and intestinal obstruction hazard, offering no benefits for your dog. And, if you understood what it took to make this toxic “raw” leather stick, you would quickly understand what the problem is. A rawhide stick is not a by-product of the beef industry nor is it made of dehydrated meat. Rather, rawhide is a by-product of the Leather Industry, so theoretically it is a leather chew. It’s the inner layer of cow or horse hides that has been cleaned and stripped of hair. In order to remove the hair from this layer, the hide must be soaked in chemicals, primarily sodium sulfide. It’s as toxic as it sounds. It’s then washed and whitened with hydrogen peroxide, dried, and pressed into the treats you see in the stores (sometimes they add flavorings or coatings to make them appetizing for dogs). Other toxins, such as trace amounts of arsenic and formaldehyde have been detected in rawhide treats as well. Rawhide is classified neither as a human food nor pet food, so there are no regulations over its production. All our products are 100% natural they may not be the prettiest but they are the healthiest option. SOME MAJOR CONCERNS INCLUDE:

  • Choking

  • Salmonella contamination

  • Digestive distress and internal blockage

19 views0 comments
bottom of page